50 Great Breakfast Ideas
from Chaz (FowlererC)
(Rearranged by Brad and partially updated for PointsPlus)
General and Non Traditional Breakfast Ideas
- There’s no rule that says breakfast has to be “breakfast food”. Why not try an open faced grilled cheese with tomato and lettuce on it? I usually pop one slice of wheat bread in the toaster, the put the ingredients on it, and toss it all in the microwave for a quick cheese melting. Approximately 4 PointsPlus.
- Why not soup? I love to take a few bouillon cubes and add kidney beans, veggies and some couscous.
- How about a dessert breakfast, have you tried sugar free Jello or pudding for breakfast?
- Try a couple tablespoons peanut butter (3 PointsPlus per Tbsp) with some low fat Ritz crackers or reduced calorie bread and skim milk. This provides plenty of protein and can be pretty filling.
- Vitamuffin muffins are good and are 3-4 PointsPlus each.
- When in a real rush I grab a Quaker Oatmeal bar.
- Egg white omelet with spinach leaves, mushrooms, onions and cheese.
- Egg beater omelet with mushrooms and asparagus and one piece of cheese
- Scrambled eggs made in the microwave with a little bit of milk. Along those lines, you can make a mini-scramble. Scrambled egg, cheese, meat, pre-sliced veggies, whatever you like in your eggs. Personally, I like a little bit of salsa on top. The trick here is to have any slicing/prep work done ahead of time. I try to do this on Sunday for the week. I just won’t slice vegetables in the morning. I need minimal prep work in the morning.
- Another variation on microwaved eggs is to toast an English muffin and top it with your microwaved scrambled egg, and then a little bit of cheese. Nuke it for a couple of seconds to melt the cheese and you have a low PointsPlus value Egg McMuffin. Want to add a slice of ham or turkey? Go ahead. It’s delicious.
- Hard-boiled eggs made in advance.
- 1/2-cup Egg Beaters, a slice of 2% American cheese, salsa – 2 points, 4 if I add toast
- Scrambled egg with cottage cheese: One egg, 1/4 c cottage cheese, dash of Dill, dash of granulated garlic, salt-and-pepper to taste. Mixing in the cottage cheese makes it cheesy and good.
- Egg quesadilla: whole wheat tortilla, egg beaters, a touch of queso fresco (Mexican crumbly white cheese – it is part skim), and some salsa
- Scrambled eggs with onions/tomatoes, Canadian bacon/Turkey bacon, Light English muffin with Laughing cow cheese
- 1 egg hard boiled, 2 slices lite bread with spray butter
- 2 eggs scrambled with sautéed onion, mushrooms, peppers and fat free cheese.
- English muffin-egg white omelet with your choice of veggie filling and a piece of fruit on the side
- Egg substitute, scrambled or omelet with Boca meatless sausages—or the patties, links or Italian…NUM!
Yogurt and Smoothie Ideas
- In a blender combine 1/2 cup yogurt, 3/4 cup vanilla soy milk, a banana, and 1/2 cup frozen fruit. Blend it all up and enjoy.
- Yogurt with a banana
- Yogurt and grapenuts (1/2 cup is 5 PointsPlus) with frozen blueberries
- Banana smoothie: one banana frozen and 1 cup fat free milk blended together
- 1 cup of fat free plain yogurt and 1 cup of strawberries cut up with 1 packet of Sweet and low.
- Ok I’m going to say the word all dieters hate: “McDonalds”!!! They have a great breakfast, the fruit and yogurt parfait is only about 4 PointsPlus.
- 1 Cup non-fat plain yogurt with a mashed banana, sprinkled with Kashi cereal
- Carnation Instant Breakfast Carb Conscious Mix. Take a packet of the Rich Milk Chocolate, some frozen strawberries and a cup of skim milk and toss it all in a blender. It is quick, it is delicious and it is a low PointsPlus value meal. It can also make also make a great dessert. For those of you who are not crazy about chocolate, mixing the vanilla with any sort of berries is also delicious. Just my two cents on the topic.
Hot and Cold Cereal Ideas
- Bowl of cream of wheat made with fat free milk, cinnamon and sliced banana
- Dry cereal with banana (no milk)
- Grits with cheese
- Baked oatmeal (recipe)
POINTS Value | 4 (PointsPlus value is likely 6-7), Serves 6
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 large egg(s)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cup rolled oatsInstructions
Mix ingredients and place in a greased pan. Bake @ 350* for 30 minutes.
- Cheerios with non-fat organic milk, there are a couple of low-fat, low calorie varieties out there
- Special K with dried strawberries and non-fat organic milk
- Take a packet or two of your favorite flavor of instant oatmeal. Mix in a packet of sugar-free Swiss Miss instant cocoa. Add hot water. Voila! Chocolate oatmeal.
- Oatmeal, 4 PointsPlus value for 1 cup
- Oatmeal (I put cinnamon, vanilla & brown sugar in the water so the flavor gets really infused in the oatmeal)
- Frozen Oatmeal: Mix 1/2 cup dry oatmeal, one package of fat-free, sugar-free, powdered cocoa mix, 1/3 cup dry milk powder and enough water to make a stiff mixture. Form into a log on waxed paper and roll up and freeze. When ready to eat, just take from the freezer and peel and eat like a banana. You eat this frozen. Its great with a hot cup of coffee for breakfast. Also counts as a milk serving.
- Mini shredded wheat with some fat free yogurt and berries
- Cereal (1/2 cup) with a cup of cottage cheese and a cup of fruit
- 2 Weetabix biscuits, blueberries, 1% milk
Bagel and Sandwich Ideas
- Bagel with non-fat cream cheese (and for days when I’m feeling wild and crazy I add sugar-free blueberry preserves)
- I will also toast some bread, then melt some cheese on the toast in the microwave for cheese toast. You can add a slice of ham or turkey to this. If you get WeightWatchers bread and 2% cheese, then two slices of cheese toast is quite low in PointsPlus value
- WeightWatchers bagel with shaved ham & tofu cheese
- Toasted light bagel with a slice of 2% American cheese
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich: 2 pieces whole wheat bread, peanut butter, banana.
- 2 slices light bread, spray butter and 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- Try the WeightWatchers English Muffins. The Healthy Choice breakfast sausage is a low PointsPlus value food. Just a wee bit of (fake) butter and you’ve got a low PointsPlus value breakfast
Other Breakfast Foods
- 3 Belgian waffles with no syrup (never liked it anyway) with SmartBeat Trans fat free margarine (no trans fat and not bad tasting) it doesn’t melt though. [Note by Brad, most frozen Waffles are 4 PointsPlus, it is possible that the original author was using a specific brand that was lower in PointsPlus value or this is a special treat.]
- 2 fat free Eggo waffles, Smart Balance Light, and light syrup